Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The link between crowdsourcing, open innovation and mass customization? Co-creation

I've been puzzled by the chart beneath for some days now. It comes from the website mass-customization.info, where the author uses it in order to provide a definition of co-creation.

In his definition, and according to the graphic beneath, co-creation would encompass things like crowdsourcing, open innovation and some portions of 'create your own' as well as mass-customization. Quite a range ;-)

Somehow this makes good sense, but I think things are more entangled than what the picture shows. For instance, by crowsourcing new ideas or watch carefully what people design of their own, one naturally does some kind of open innovation? It's probably what the author meant with putting co-creation at the center of these activities. But there's probably a clearer way of presenting this... food for thought...

(+ note to myself: what the #§//° is virtual personalization???

Chart from: http://mass-customization.info/

4 comments:

  1. Hey, thanks for picking up my chart. http://www.hunch.com is an example of virtual personalization - I'll write a blog post about it.
    I'd be curious to see your version of presenting it - and I haven't published all my definitions yet. As all models, pictures like these have to simplify.
    And finally, I'm a she :)
    Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's another matrix that positions co-creation against other concepts: http://yannigroth.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/co-creation-matrix.jpg. It has been published a couple of years ago (Humprhreys et al., 2009), and the advantage is that there are axes that identify the dimensions... which is not the case in the one you're showing. This emerging part of marketing really needs some calrification ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Carmen: apologies, I certainly don't assume that only men are busy with current trends ! I should've checked who was behind your site nevertheless ;-) look forward to your article on virtual personalization !

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ yannigroth: thanks for sharing, didn't see this segmentation yet but looks very useful!

    ReplyDelete