Thursday, October 6, 2011

Which industries are threatened by desintermediation trend? Should they adopt new business models as a result?

I’ve been spending the last two days building the website for my freshly created company (www.i4fi.com for those interested). I still can’t believe I’ve done this myself! With no technical background of any kind –I even have some kind of aversion for the gritty details of it- the result is quite close to what I had in mind.

 Ten years ago such a project would have cost me around five to ten thousand Dollars and a week or two of extensive collaboration with an agency. What happened since?

Obviously this is part of a growing trend to ‘do-it-yourself’ (DIY) in technology. But at a broader level, you could see this as part of the ‘desintermediation’ trend as well: the fact that, with the growth of the global grid, we are getting access to some services directly at the source rather than through intermediate ‘service providers’.

 I’ve discussed this trend in relationship with banking (‘peer-to-peer’ lending) and the music industry (the ‘fan-funding’ model) already. But clearly the technology industry is impacted as well, through the consumerization and DIY trends.

 Obviously, these sectors won’t disappear with the disintermediation trend, but they will have to reinvent themselves through the adoption of new business models as a response to it. Here’s an overview of the threat levels and the potential response for some industries:



 Can you think of other industries threatened by disintermediation and how they should respond?

No comments:

Post a Comment