Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Looking for examples of how megatrends affect companies

I’m looking for examples of how companies are benefiting from, or being threatened by megatrends. By Megatrends I mean longer term, current or upcoming shifts that are fundamentally changing society, demographics, geopolitics, technology, consumer behavior, etc.

As the examples I gathered beneath show, there are multiple ways megatrends can affect companies: some have been blind to how megatrend affect their business, and are suffering from that blindness (GM’s Hummer, Coca Cola), some are turning them into new opportunities (Bratz, Prosper, Tata), and others have turned them into appealing corporate messages (Siemens).

I’m looking for more examples in order to strengthen my argument of using megatrends in corporate strategy.

In a way, this question is testing what is possible with crowdsourcing as well. Crowdsourcing being one of the trends I look into, this question in itself might generate some interesting research, which I’ll share through this blog as well, of course.

…the floor is yours…





2 comments:

  1. The move toward more online shopping is said by one retailing expert, Howard Davidowitz, to pose a threat to bricks and mortar retailers, and by implication, to the commercial real estate market. My own recent experience helps explain this matter. My wife asked for a specific birthday gift, and I spun my wheels and wasted precious time looking of it in four different stores. I finally went home, spent 10 minutes locating the exact item in the exact color she wanted, and it was on our front porch in 2 days. Retailers are reluctant to carry large inventories, for obvious economic reasons. However, electronic shopping simplifies the process of finding what you want, and saves time-starved working people much annoyance.

    The use of mobile phones to comparison shop or price shop when one is in the store is another key, but obvious trend.

    ReplyDelete