Friday, January 21, 2011

How high performing companies beat growth cycles and stay on top

I've been watching this video interview with the two authors of Jumping the S-Curve: How to Beat the Growth Cycle, Get on Top, and Stay There with great interest.

I won't explain what this S-curve is about, in the video they do it much better than I could, but I was quite struck by their comment of how high performing companies are not market-led or even customer-led, but 'market insight'-led. It's the market insights, in a way the certainties about the future and the capabilities to adapt to this future, that make these companies stay on top.

As the CEO of Amazon has told them: you need to base you strategy on what you know for sure will happen in ten years from now. The risk that many companies face now, being too much focused on the short-term fixing of the consequences of the past crisis, is to be unprepared for the next thing coming.

It certainly strengthens my conviction that looking at megatrends within a company is not an option, but an imperative...



Haven't read the book yet, but it's certainly included in my short-list for the coming months...


No comments:

Post a Comment